UM Allies Training for Students
The Center for Inclusion & Cross Cultural Engagement and Sarah Isom Center for Women & Gender Studies partners to offer UM Allies Training for students, faculty, and staff. More information can be found at Allies at the University of Mississippi.
Facilitated by Dr. Jaime Cantrell, the CICCE’s Program Coordinator, UM Student Allies training is a three hour workshop that aims to 1) encourage a basic understanding of LGBTQ+ definitions, concepts and terms relating to sexual orientation and gender identities, 2) introduce campus and state-level issues and concerns that impact UMiss students who identify as lesbian, gay, bi, trans*, and/or questioning/queer, and 3) model how to be an effective and informed ally to those communities. This training session is specifically designed for undergraduate students. As a result of participation, students will be able to:
- Articulate the role of an ally and the purpose of the Allies program as it relates to LGBT+ advocacy and inclusivity;
- Practice active bystander intervention strategies;
- Identify campus resources for members of our LGBTQ+ community and their allies;
- Increase awareness of basic terms and information about the LGBTQ+ community knowledgeably and with sensitivity;
- Learn how to report incidents of harassment and/or discrimination;
- Develop strategies to reduce incidents of micro-aggressions on UM’s campus, including homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and heterosexism;
- Implement commitments to help create and promote a supportive and welcoming campus environment for faculty, staff and students, where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
UM Allies Training for Students will be held on the following date:
April 5, 2018 : 4:00 PM-7:00 PM (Location TBD)
Registration will close three days prior to the training session. We encourage participants who seek active listening, informed action, and who advocate for the acceptance and fair treatment of LGBTQ+ students at the University of Mississippi. Upon successful completion of the training session, students will be given an allies button to wear as a visible sign of support for the UM LGBTQ+ community.
To register, please complete the UM Allies Registration Form.
Dr. Jaime Cantrell is also happy to coordinate training sessions for student organizations, residence halls, and other student groups. To request a training for your group, please e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com at least 3 weeks in advance of your proposed date.